Re: Signs of Sagging

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Signs of Sagging
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 16:53:05 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, hubbard@idir.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
type79@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> >I looked at a '65 Sprite yesterday - a project type car.  One of the
> things
> >I know one should look for is sagging.

> Phil,
> Sagging is a new one on me, at least concerning Spridgets.
>
> Look at the spring box areas under the car ahead of the rear axle fo
> signs of rot or  improper repair.

Jay

65 Sprites do not have spring boxes. They have the 1/2 leafs.

Phillip

Most of the time the springs sag out and/or break. If the sag is on one
side only (usually drivers side) you can bet the leaf is broken.
1098 sprites used a softer leaf then the 1275s. They do sit lower then
your 74. Now add 34 years to those original springs and I/m sure it's
dragging it's butt.

What Jay said about rust is true but if the rust got to the sills, it
would get to both sides fairly evenly.

Look at the floor pans on the top side under the carpet, look good where
the springs bolt to the floor behind the seats and if possible, remove
the front fender interior panels to inspect that area for rust. If the
car is or was rusty, those inner fender panels down near the inner sill
and floor pan will tell.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ