Re: Mini Mania engine breather

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Mini Mania engine breather
From: Rick Kaplan <rkaplan@us.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 13:40:14 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> Mini Mania sells an aluminum piece that bolts to the block instead of the
> mechanical fuel pump.  All it really does is provide a threaded hole for
> an engine breather connection.  The aluminim block baffles the hole to
> funtion as an oil separator. So a hose could be connected here and run to
> the PCV valve.
> I am wondering what the advantage of this setup might be.
> It would let me use a timing cover without the oil separator, which would
> come in handy if I wanted to use a Judson supercharger or if I used a
> timing belt conversion without breather.
>
> I don't mind the timing cover with the separator, so I am wondering if
> there might be an advantage to connecting the PCV to both points?
>
> PS: I have a later 1275 block that actually has the blanking plate for the
> machanical fuel pump.
>
>     Ulix                                       __/__,__      ___/__|\__
> ..............................................(_o____o_)....<_O_____O_/...
>                                               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9

Ulix:

I drilled and tapped an elbow joint to my fuel pump blanking plate and made a
separator out of a section of 1-1/2" pipe with step down fittings attached to
nipples on ether end.  Before screwing on the step down fittings,  I stuffed
some heavy wire mesh into the pipe.  The separator is connected to the elbow
by a  hose.  From the other end, a hose runs to an in-line PCV valve into a
nipple fitting on the intake manifold.

This setup works well and costs allot less that the mini mania thing.

Rick