Re: Oil and Oil coolers

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil and Oil coolers
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 23:48:51 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Toby Atwater wrote:

> >David's measurements were after the oil cooler, 160F to 195F, it would
> >not be unreasonable to expect a temp before the oil cooler of say 180F
> >to 225F? I know it depends on the number of rows, the airflow through the
> >cooler etc, but in the absence of data that is what I'd guess.
>
> But wait, doesn't the temp of the oil mean that your engine is running too
>hot? and
> the cooling system is the culprit? I think you shouldn't get your oil that
>hot to
> start with, maybe invest in a more efficient cooling system. Oil is for
> lubrication, water is for cooling. I don't thing one should do the others
>job. Then
> again, maybe I'm wrong....
>
> Toby
Actually oil is used to remove heat from parts of the engine that cannot
transfer heat to coolant directly. These parts would be but not limited
to pistons,crankshafts,valves,rockers etc. I have run a chevy 350
without water in races in two occasions.(Both times the radiator was
punctured and there was only a few laps to run to finish. The first
time,using 20W50 conventional oil I fried the engine.The second time it
happened I had Amsoil Synthetic in the engine and still have the engine
today. Both times the temperature gauge broke as the temperature
exceeded the gages limit. On the second occasion I even heated up the
pick up ring on the distributor enough to warp it. The difference was
the synthetic took the heat and transfered it away from the fragile
parts and out into the more durable parts. Neither time did I use an oil
cooler, but I have learned since then a little more on engine
temperature management, and my 73 midget Auto-X car will have an oil
cooler for sure. It is just one more thing that can add some piece of
mind to save your investment from distaster.YMMV

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC