Re: rebuild time?

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: rebuild time?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:03:33 -0500
Cc: Daniel1312@aol.com, jboatri@emory.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> Doesn't the relief valve only open at around 75psi?  Wouldn't then adding
> washers behind the spring just increase you oil temp on cold startup to
> something higher than 75psi and have no other effect?

Ulix

I have seen the washer (it was actually a nut) trick on a Mini. The oil
pressure was at 100 psi!
I removed the nut, and there was very low OP. I shimmed it with a washer
and the op was normal. This was on a recently rebuilt 1275 Mini motor.
I do not know who stuck the nut in it or why with out a shim the
pressure was low. I did not measure the relief spring since it was kind
of on the fly. I always measure my relief springs when doing an engine.
Replace it if it is off.
Oil leaks everywhere

--
Frank Clarici