Re: Re:Valve definition

To: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>, <mgrazian@ltcm.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Re:Valve definition
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:20:33 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My understanding is that burnt valves are moistly caused by tappet
clearances closing up (which they do through normal use as the valves
recess into the head).

This means the seat sealing becomes poor and directly burning
mixture passes through the valve/seat gap, eroding the valve away.
The seat would be less susceptible because of the far great thermal
mass of the head.

This is just my personal understanding, it may not be the correct
reason - perhaps someone can confirm/deny?

Mike