Commemorative Cars

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Commemorative Cars
From: Herb_Goede@amsinc.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 15:02:10 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

List,

The car collecting malady is not limited to LBCs.  My wife insists that I
do not have a car buying problem.  I am forty years old and have personally
owned only 5 cars.  (My wife's cars do not count.) The cars in order of
appearance, '59 Sprite, '69 Firebird Conv, '75 Monza, '79 RX-7, '89 Alfa
Spyder.

Not bad you say?  My problem is with selling them.  I still own the Sprite,
RX-7 and Alfa.  And given the opportunity to correct the mistake would
still have the Firebird.  My justifications are 1) the Sprite isn't really
a car.  It's a pet.  A pet is a member of the family. And you can't sell a
member of the family.  Right?  (If I'm wrong would anyone like my well
broken in 50 year old sister.)  2) The RX-7 isn't worth much.  It always
starts and we might as well keep it for bad weather and when one of the
primary drivers is acting up.  3) The Alfa is my daily driver (unless it
has a problem in which case see #2).

You may have noticed that all of the cars that I have retained were made in
the last year of a decade.  The only decade of my life not commemorated
with a car is the '60s.  Remember the Firebird.  Filling that hole
shouldn't be a problem.  Lots of cars made in '69 are appealing (E-type,
TR6, MGB, 'Cuda, Firebird, Shelby, Mach I).  My main  concern is that I
have not seen anything made in '99 that I am even remotely interested in
buying let alone holding on to.

Car makers take notice.  You have seven months.
Herb G.