Re: wheels

To: andy webster <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: wheels
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Thu, 6 May 1999, andy webster wrote:

> Ulix,
> at the moment I'm running 155 goodyears. skinny things.
> Do you have to be real careful when selecting rims as to the offset?

Yes, especially if you have square rear wheelarches.
The Minator wheels sold by the usual suspects have the right offset (does
anyone know what it is?)

> How fat a tyre can I get away with on the standard rim? Isn't it only 4.5"
> wide?

What wheels do you have (what year is your car?)
The early hubcap wheels are only 3.5", but I have seen 165/70 on them.

> By driveability I just mean is it nicer to drive?

On the interstate or in the twisties?
Ulix

> >From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
> >To: andy webster <trunkie@hotmail.com>
> >CC: spridgets@autox.team.net
> >Subject: Re: wheels
> >Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 21:37:20 -0700 (PDT)
> >
> >Andy,
> >what do mean by driveability?
> >On the wire car, spokes were busted so the wheels flexed.  You don't have
> >that problem with your wheels.
> >You will notice if you go with sportier tires.  A lower and wider tire
> >will feel differently.
> >If you go with 165/70s, your ride will remain nice, but a 60s series tire
> >will feel stiffer, but more direct too.
> >Ulix
> >

> >On Thu, 6 May 1999, andy webster wrote:
> >
> > > Hi list,
> > > Quick question...
> > > If I were to replace my stock steel rims with alloys..say minilite
> >copies
> > > would I notice any difference in the cars driveability?
> > > I saw that replacing wires with alloys gave an improvement for some..
> > > Andy

> >                                               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9