octane boost

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: octane boost
From: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:26:58 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I contacted Caltex and asked about octane numbers, lead etc.
If anyone wants to raise the octane level of their fuel, toluene (methyl
benzene) has an octane number of 124 and can be added to fuel.
I don't know what proportions or whether the resulting octane level would be
the simplest calculation
e.g if I have 1 gallon of 96 and 1 gallon of 124 and I mixed them, would I
have 2 gallons of 110 {(96+124)/2}? If not its probably not far off as I
cant see any reactions occurring that would alter the nature of the
fuels.....
The caltex guy just said that RON96 should be fine in a sprite, even though
I told him that the BL manual specifies 98 or greater.
He did not answer my Q's regarding lead levels and whether they had
decreased.
Andy