1100 tuning

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1100 tuning
From: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:01:17 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Okay petrolheads,
I'm trying to get the best out of what I've got:
A 10CCDAH high comp 1100 (.040 OB so 1136cc) with a 998 cooper head.
I've got a 3 into 1 extractor with fairly short primaries, about 1 foot
long.
Twin 1 1/4" S.U.s as standard with AN needles.
Anyone know if I should change needles?
I'm fairly sure my tacho is ~accurate, I cant get it to idle anything like
smoothly below 1000rpm, Go <1000 rpm and the engine trys to shake itself off
the mounts
I'm pretty sure theres a lumpy-ish cam  in there as the idle is not smooth
but a rythmic thing like when you tap your fingers from
pinky,ring,bird,pointer on the table in quick succession over and over, you
know, like when your waiting for a web page to load. Is that normal or a
symptom of a standard cam and some other problem?
With my flash new timing light I set the ign timing to 8' btdc. Seeing as it
was at 1000rpm instead of the specified 600rpm should that have been less
advanced ,say 5'btdc?
When revved should the mark fly around to 40' or more btdc? Thats just the
centrifugal advance doin its thing right...?
I think I have pre-ignition paranoia, I always think its knocking but nobody
who knows has ever said "hear that?" "thats knocking" so I cant be sure.
Thanks for any words of wisdom
Andy