RE: Autocross car preparation.

To: "'Lancer7676@aol.com'" <Lancer7676@aol.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Autocross car preparation.
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 09:29:04 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
You already have good advice, so I'll just add a "me too"

D Street Prepared is a good low-cost way to play (I'm going to assume you
mean SCCA even though I don't autox SCCA; I play with an ancient local club
that is very similar.)

 Street Prepared update/backdate rules allow use of pretty much any
Spridget part. (4.22 early differentials for instance) Any springs,
headers, carbs, or wheel size, a few other things but mostly any
intake/exhaust or bolt-on suspension upgrades; engine internals are stock.
you can take off all the smog bits. Competition is tough but fun. Rabbit
GTIs, Siroccos, Dodge Omnis, Fiat X1/9s, and  locally we have an Opel GT
that is hard to beat. I'm not very good, and I'm mid-pack, so Spridgets
aren't completely outclassed, at least locally. Nationally, the X1/9 is the
car, at least right now. I'm not sure what will happen when it goes to ESP,
but I think it will be better (as in easier competition.)

The round-wheel arch car is a good place to start. You can get pretty
radical if you're willing to trailer it, too. Lower springs, as stiff as
you like. Get a LCB header, and put on just enough silencing to keep the
site owners happy (open exhausts are generally frowned on as noise makes it
hard to rent parking lots.) Get some K&N filers and air horns, and clean up
your intake manifold per Vizard. (port matching is OK)   Panhard bar. Nice
fat heim-jointed sway bar with nylon bushings. Negative camber bushings for
the trunnions, (see Winners Circle - www.spridget.com - for any of these
bits) those bright poly bushings that are a bit too hard for the street;
get some heavy-duty valved shocks from Peter C. or fill 'em up with 20wt
(or 30wt)  motorcycle fork oil, a 4.22 diff, those 6" wheels that somebody
on the list was looking to get rid of, a set of tires, some high
performance street brake pads (not race - you'll never get them hot enough)
and you're off. There's more you can do, and everything is subject to
tuning/adjustment but that would be plenty to get you started.

Re tires: 185/60 13's are not too hard to find as road race take-offs if
you want to get started cheap (The Yokohama A008RSII in this size is $87
from TireRack, plus shipping and mounting, so used tires can be a good
thing.) The last generation BFGoodrich R1- what some say is THE tire to
have - is $103. With BFG R1's you might be able to go with 205/60s on a 6"
wide wheel, lots o' grip but slightly less advantageous gearing as they'd
be a smidge taller. If you don't want to spend the money on DOT race
rubber, check if your local region has a street tire class, but keep in
mind if you run expensive street rubber that autocrossing will be hard on
it.

You can go with DCOEs in Street Prepared if you want to spend the money, or
if Prepared is your eventual goal, you could get the guys at Winners Circle
to build you a set of 1.5" SUs on a suitable manifold, but I doubt your
internally stock engine is going to be able to use all that carb.

(This is mostly where my car is, except I don't have a round-arch, so I'm
stuffing 5" wheels under the square arches.) and I drive it to work most
days - minus the wide Yokohamas.

 When you wear out the motor, then you can worry about building a Prepared
class motor. Don't sweat it now, you'll get beat a lot anyway, just learn
and have fun. Don't sweat it too much if your engine internals aren't
completely stock either, no one is going to care that you aren't running in
Prepared while you are a new guy, unless you have a severely lumpy cam (or
start beating them.) I don't recommend cheating, just run what you have. At
the local level people are pretty low-key.    Make sure you don't have any
excessive oil leaks and that your wheel bearings are good and the battery
is tied down SOLID. I also like having a seat belt that isn't the
inertial-reel type, so I can cinch myself in real tight. I don't want to be
 flailing around in there too much, it isn't in keeping with the string-
backed, stiff-upper lipped dignity that is appropriate to a proper sports
car.

Have fun

Phil Vanner
'61 Midget #86 DSP