Re: Re-Arching Rear Springs

To: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Re-Arching Rear Springs
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:00:41 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave Hiley wrote:

> Hi everybody
>
> There has been a very active discussion on Bugeye rear springs for the past
> couple of days that I have been following.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with re-arching the springs from a '72
> Midget?
> The car does not have many miles on it (possibly 45k) but there is the
> noticeable sag on the driver's side (and of course it has nothing to do
> with the noticeable sags on the driver!).  I have that spring off the car
> at the present time and spoke with the spring shop today and he said he
> might be able to bring it back up to spec if I could give him that info.
> Or, alternately, just add another inch or whatever I requested of arch.
>
> Anybody have specs or recommendations?
Spring specs MKIII Sprite/MKII Midget, my book was printed in 1972 but
there are no spring specs past the MKIII/MKII.
Type...Semi eliptical
# of leafs...5
Thickness of leaves 11/64 (4.37mm)
width...1 1/2"
Working load....375 lbs
Free Camber 4.437"

But Mercer Spring in Trenton, NJ did a couple of cars for me. They did
my A40 and I asked them to boost it 1" higher then stock to accomodate
the larger tires.
They did it exactly as requested and I handed them the springs over the
counter, they never saw the car.
The A40 has 1/2 leafs very similar to the Midget, actualy the same
except for ratings and center peg location.

Hope this helps.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ