Original Fuel Line

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Original Fuel Line
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:22:27 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
     Well, I had thought when I removed the old fuel line from the tank
to the fuel pump when my restoration started, that I was going to make a
new one.  After all the old one had a hole rubbed in it by the manifold
back in 1976 when it last ran.  As I see it, this is what had to have
taken it off the road.
     Today I took the old one to a hydraulic shop in the area to match
it to some 1/4 inch tubing with the idea I was going to bend it myself.
The technician said, "Want me to repair this one?"  I had not even
thought of that, but agreed.  $22 dollars later he said "There's good
news and there's bad news.  The good news is, I fixed the hole by
brazing it with brass.  The bad news is, the line is plugged in the
middle of the coil on the pump end, probably with rust."  Now I have to
buy 12 feet of 1/4 inch steel tubing and start bending.
The pump end uses a regular compression fitting. The other end has a
one-of -a-kind fitting for the tank connection.  I can cut this off and
a machine shop will ream it clean. (I'm sure I'll cut myself or ruin it
if I try with my Chinese drill press.  Then I can sweat silver solder it
back on to my new creation.
     I also cleaned out the threaded holes for the interior rear view
mirror today without taking the recently installed new windshield off.
I use a miniature crescent wrench to turn the tap.
Just cleaning paint out of the hole anyway, not hard to turn.  While I
was doing this I was sitting on my new reproduction rear view mirror.
Broke the glass in half.  I knew I should have gone to work today.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite