Re: mechanical advance

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Jeff Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: mechanical advance
From: "Geoff Branch" <branch@valinet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:35:32 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I installed a Mallory dual point in a fit of frustration over the
intermitanly dead Lucas that was in the car.  It works well, and yes Frank,
I've fiddled around with it for hours trying to get it just right.  I can't
for the life of me figure what 2 sets of points are better than one because
it seems that no matter how they are wired (series or parrellel) the last to
open would be the one that would collapse the field in the coil creating the
spark.  The Mallory literature does say that the dwell angle is doubled with
dual points.  Timing to the engine with the all mechanical dizzy is now a by
guess or by golly affair because the timing marks on the front pulley are
out of site at idle.  I time it by advancing until the starter won't turn
the engine easily and drive to make sure it's not detonating (pinging).
Next I plan to try timing it using Pat Braden's suggestion in his Weber
book:  advance it till it pings on hard acceleration, then back it off 2
degrees.  One advantage of all mechanical advances should be that you can
change the advance curve by changind springs and weights.  Has anyone tried
this?

Geoff Branch   '74 Midget  "Yellow Peril"