Re: Tooting the horn

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tooting the horn
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:10:52 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Here's another horn question I forgot to ask.  What year did the horn switch go
from
the center cap to the column for the late model Midgets?  I was thinking 1978,
but I
was just talking to a mechanic and he says he's seen them that way in both 1975
and
1976 models.

adrian

"Peter C." wrote:

> Richard,
>         So the spring and wire bit is just a "flexible" ground connection for
>the
> switch which is in the button?
> Elegant, duh.....   Thanks. I kept wanting the spring, brass, and wire
> thing (term: horn BRUSH) to be the switch.
>         Peter C
> At 11:45 AM 5/27/99 , Richard Shipman wrote:
> >Peter,
> >
> >On my '74 Midget, the brass plunger is used to bring the horn's ground
> >circuit up to the horn centerpiece which is pressed onto the center of the
> >steering wheel. The "switch" is in this centerpiece. If you remove this
> >assembly and look at it from the back while pressing the horn button, you
> >can see how it works. When this assembly is pressed, the circuit brought up
> >through the brass plunger is shorted to ground and the horn beeps.
> >
> >Hope this helps,
> >
> >Richard Shipman
> >'74 Midget
> >'68 MGBGT
> >'58 Morris Minor 1000
> >
> >At 11:07 AM 5/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >>Herb,
> >>      If you look at that plastic and brass plunger, it has a wire
>connecting
> >>the 2 brass contacts.. 1 at each end, so there is continuity all the time.
> >>This has been a mystery to me...... any electrical engineers out there?
> >>Peter C

J. Adrian Barnes
Business Information Group
http://www.workgroup.net