Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety and Young Drivers in Spridgets
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:38:15 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/28/99 12:30:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu writes:

<< Due to circumstance
 far beyond my control I only have the Midget for a car. I fully intend to
 teach how to drive in the Midget. I need to rebuild the tranny because
 the synchros are gone - but I will wait to put the rebuilt in until after
 she has some time behind the wheel. I will spend as much time with her
 driving as I possibly can (the chaffeur idea sounds good to me). An I
 will also require her to take drivers training in order to move from a
 learner's permit tjhe the real thing. As for driving at night, in PA they
 have a law if under 18 no driving after sunset. >>

Some comments for my friend Larry... You have only the Midget at the present
time.  If you'd finish the paperwork, you'd have a Fiero with a fancy plastic
body!!!  I guess you still have to pay the tax and tags.  Let's see...6% of
$24K is $1440.  I only paid $1600 for my Midget!

When I taught my kids how to drive, I start at the school parking lot (like
everybody else in Abington, PA) and then they are the driver whenever we go
anywhere.  I may take over in snow or heavy rain, but not for long.  I talk
constantly about where to look and what to look out for.  It works.  BTW, PA
state law has a midnight curfew for junior drivers, not sunset.

You can take your daughter to the BMW school in August (8/14 and 15 at Phila.
Park). You have to be at least 15 years old and have at least a permit.  It
seems like a good opportunity to take a FREE 4 hour driving course in a new
BMW.  See www.bmwusa.com/start.cfm  for more info.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport