Re: LONG: Shocks and fulcrum pins, '79 Midget

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: LONG: Shocks and fulcrum pins, '79 Midget
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 12:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: richard.arnold@juno.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sun, 30 May 1999 Lancer7676@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/30/99 11:18:45 AM EST, richard.arnold@juno.com writes:
>
> << disassemble the damned thing
>  today >>
>

> Richard:
>
> Be careful--that fulcrum pin is a b***h to remove.  I have taken out about 4
> or 5 of them and ended up having to virtually destroy my kingpin (which comes
> in the major rebuild kit anyway)--they tend to weld together.  Also the
> kingpin bearings have to be reamed out with a special reamer to fit the new
> kingpin.  As far as how much play is too much, I think if you move the wheel
> and you get a "click click" you are ok.  If you move it and get a "clunk
> clunk" then it is time to rebuild.  Whatta ya think list?  Is that
> reasonable?  If you are not going to disturb the fulcrum pin or replace the
> kingpin (which requires removal of the fulcrum pin, the disassembly is pretty
> much straightforward.

Richard,
I think a tiny little bit of play is normal there.  By this I mean that
after a rebuild, you may have a little bit of play there.  Play down there
is definitely *normal* if you look at the first 10 Spridgets you come
across, they probably all have play there.  The lower fulcrum is to me the
dumbest design of the whole car.  The point of rotation is actually the
threads!  So if you keep them greased up, they may last for a while, but
this kind of joint will never be as play-free as a ball joint.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9