Re: 1275 Tech. Question

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Subject: Re: 1275 Tech. Question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 08:24:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Mark Endicott wrote:

> Once again I would like to ask a question of the list.  I have noticed
> that my Midget has a significant exhaust crackle and pop while
> decelerating, it is most noticeable while coasting in top gear on a long
> downhill run.  I assume that there is more unburned fuel in the exhaust
> system when the engine is generating the same rpm from gravity without
> the need to produce as much power.  My question is this exhaust crackle
> and pop causing any damage to the engine, and is is possibly timing or
> carburetor set up that is causing this. It is becoming more noticeable,
> especially when the engine is not yet up to normal operating
> temperature.

Mark,
this is the sound of a sportscar!
My passengers always think something is wrong until I explain to them that
a sportscar is supposed to do this.
I am fairly sure that it is caused by exhaust leaks, air getting into the
exhaust.  Either at the manifold flange or at the back where the muffler
connects (as in my case).  On my other car, I was able to tell when the
exhaust had loosened again, just from this sound.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9