Re: PCV needed?

To: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Re: PCV needed?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:37:24 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ric,
A PCV system would definitely help to reduce your rear oil leak.  I saw it
on my car first hand.  It will not hurt performance.  SInce the original
PCV valve is hard to find, you may want to adapt a different one.  Search
the archives on this.  Some people use a NAPA valve but had to reduce the
flow a little by inserting a washer into the hose.
Ulx

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Ric Otte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been reading the messages about crankcase ventilation, PCV valves,
> holes in oil fill caps, and am now completely confused.  I have a 1275
> (12CD-DA-H 9590) and simply have a hose coming from the oil separator that
> goes up to a nozzle sticking out of the air cleaner housing.  It looks to
> me as if in the middle of the intake manifold there is a bolt plugging a
> hole where a PCV valve might have gone, but I've never paid attention to it
> because I assumed the hose goes up to  the nozzle on the air cleaner.
>
> I don't have any problem with my valve cover gasket leaking, or leaks from
> the timing chain cover.  But I read the "How to Build a Leakproof Engine"
> by Les Myer in the Pdljmpr archives, and it seemed to indicate that a PCV
> was needed to keep sucking the oil in.  I do leak oil out the rear, and
> wonder if this is due to not having a PCV valve?  I'd certainly be willing
> to put a PCV valve on if it would keep oil from coming out the rear.
>
> The oil filler cap on my 1275 has a small hole in it, but the one on my
> 1098 doesn't have the hole.  Is it best to keep the hole open (to let air
> in), or is it best to use the one off my 1098, so that I'll suck air in
> through the rear and keep oil in?  I can't figure out when one should use
> the cap with the hole and when to use one without the hole.  Is it a
> difference between 1098 and 1275 engines?
>
> My car is put together out of many different parts.  The car is a HAN6L
> 14277, so it looks to me like it originally had a 948 engine.  Perhaps that
> is why I have air cleaners with nozzles sticking out of them, since I don't
> think the 948 had PCV valves.  Correct?
>
> So, should I keep the setup I have, or would a PCV valve help keep the oil
> in?  Does a PCV valve hurt performance in any way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ric Otte
> 62 Sprite Mk II

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9