Re: Roadster - a definition for Martyn Ridley

To: Jim Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Subject: Re: Roadster - a definition for Martyn Ridley
From: Herb_Goede@amsinc.com
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 13:59:53 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

The definitions of roadster/convertible were designations of their day.  At
the time a convertible (meaning a car with a fold down top and wind up
windows was more desireable and more expensive due to the increased
complexity.  A roadster was more spartan and less refined.

Evidently the marketing types started to think the term roadster sounded
more appealing after "true" new production "roadsters"  became few and far
between.  I do not know of any "true" roadsters that are being produced
other than the Caterham.

May I propose that you use the venacular of the time that the car was
produced.  If you are talking about an early Sprite or Midget it should be
a roadster if the top comes off;  convertible if it folds down.

Herb G.