Why? Re: Roadster - a definition

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Why? Re: Roadster - a definition
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 16:24:31 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I've seen this discussion come up quite a bit (I'd even be afraid to go back to
the archives and search on "roadster").  Never thought I'd participate in the
discussion, but I'm just wondering:  what difference does it make?  :-)  I say
"to-may-toe," you say "to-mah-toe."  It isn't like my '75 is any less spartan
than a '59 Sprite.  I mean, we're just talking roll up windows, a bit of trim,
a trunk lid, and an attached top, not MacPherson Struts, a V-10, and an
18-speaker sound system.  Hardly needs a different term to describe it.  Just
my .02.

adrian

Herb_Goede@amsinc.com wrote:

> The definitions of roadster/convertible were designations of their day.  At
> the time a convertible (meaning a car with a fold down top and wind up
> windows was more desireable and more expensive due to the increased
> complexity.  A roadster was more spartan and less refined.
>
> Evidently the marketing types started to think the term roadster sounded
> more appealing after "true" new production "roadsters"  became few and far
> between.  I do not know of any "true" roadsters that are being produced
> other than the Caterham.
>
> May I propose that you use the venacular of the time that the car was
> produced.  If you are talking about an early Sprite or Midget it should be
> a roadster if the top comes off;  convertible if it folds down.
>
> Herb G.

J. Adrian Barnes
Business Information Group
http://www.workgroup.net