Help! Bonnet release lever broke!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! Bonnet release lever broke!
From: Avi Flax <avi@pccdesign.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:06:19 -0400
Cc: Reuben Flax <thrjej@yahoo.com>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello, I am not a regular subscriber to this list, but I need some help! My
brother got a 1979 MG Midget, and when I was driving it the little lever to
open the bonnet snapped right off! The shaft of the thing broke right off,
flush with where it comes into the interior. Now we can't get to the engine!

What's worse, my Brother had a guy test driving it, who wants to buy it, and in
the middle of the drive he stopped and it won't start up again! So now it's
sitting on the street 5 minutes away from my house because we can't get to the
engine to get it started up again - and now someone slashed one of the tires
last night!

Can anyone tell me how I can get the bonnet open - if I put the car up on
ramps, will I be able to reach that "cable" with pliers or something? Where is
it located? How can I replace that part?

I really appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks!
Avi Flax

Avi Flax - Web Developer
PCC Internet Design - http://www.pccdesign.com