Re: Quick paint primer for Dummie

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Quick paint primer for Dummie
From: Carolyn/Rick <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:42:05 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Ulix,

Well, It is a good start.  One thing I can't stress enough  when painting any
car.  Your Prep is the most important step.  Hours can be spent teaching the
how to layer and overlap with a paint gun.  But the most noticeable thing you
do will be the prep.  With this in mind, I have to ask.  This is a Engine
compartment right, Are you sure it is totally free of Oil and dirt?  If you
spray over oil or dirt, two thing may happen both of them bad.  One it may not
ever dry, or if it does dry it will crack and peal off real quickly.

Solution is to steam clean it.  Blow it out with a Air Comp.  Solvent wash it,
blow it out with a Comp.  Then wait a couple of days with the summer heat.
this will ensure the solvents are evaporated and the water is gone.  These are
both problems.

I wouldn't even try this with paint on the outside of the car.  When you blow
it out,  it goes everywhere.  Engine bays are such a pain.  Sometimes even
this won't work.

Good luck

Rick

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby