Re: Quick paint primer for Dummie

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Quick paint primer for Dummie
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 01:58:43 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ulix,

Make sure you prep your surfaces really well or you will be wasting your
time and money. It's a pain, but is worth the end result.

Here's the correct procedure:

After cleaning all the surfaces of heavy grim with your favorite solvent or
degreaser, scuff all your painted surfaces with #320 sandpaper or a red
Scotchbrite pad. This is a special pad available from your Pro paint store
or maybe a Home Depot or equivalent. This pad is actually maroon in color
and designed for just this purpose. Use phosphoric acid (metal prep) to
clean any bare metal surfaces. After you have everything cleaned and
scuffed, use a degreaser supplied by your paint supplier to go over
everything just before you paint. Clean using plain white paper towels or
lint-free white cloth until they no longer pick up any dirt. Your surface
will now be ready.

*IMPORTANT* Most of today's paint products are LETHAL. Make sure you have a
proper respirator (paint suppliers have a disposable one cheap ($20), good
for 40 hours). Get a pair of disposable coveralls and some rubber gloves to
avoid paint contact with your skin as well. Some disposable shoe covers
will spare your favorite tennies from looking like a dye job gone wrong.
Some masking paper and tape will be handy (necessary) too.

Because of different paint viscosities, a certain nozzle size is usually
recommended for a particular paint. Bring the paint gun you plan to use to
make sure it will work with your paint. Air delivery (CFM and pressure) can
also be an issue.

Good luck and be safe.

Gerard

At 2:17 PM -0700 6/25/99, Ulix Goettsch wrote:
>I need a couple of words of wisdom from someone who has done some car
>painting.  No, I will not paint my car.  It was painted a couple of years
>back, but only the outside.  My engine and transmission are out, so I want
>to paint the engine compartment.
>
>I bought a little paint gun with built in gas cartridge.  I figure this
>will work fine for painting such a small area.
>
>My main problem is that I know nothing about paint except the kind in
>spray cans :-)
>I have the "recipe" for my paint which I will take to the paint store.
>But what do I buy?  I guess I need primer, paint and thinner (is that
>called reducer?).  What kind do I want, how much?  (I can't really go back
>and ask what was used when the car was painted.)
>
>TIA,
>http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A