Re: Judson-Head Gaskets

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Subject: Re: Judson-Head Gaskets
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:50:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Judson List <judson@autox.team.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Mark Endicott wrote:

> company that makes gaskets to order out of pure copper.  Is there a
> formula I can use to determine how much thicker gasket the gasket should
> be to add the additional chamber volume to change it from a stock 1275H
> (8.8:1?) to about 8:1?. And/or anybody know what the thickness of the
> stock gasket is?

Mark,
first you have to determine the combustion chamber volume (v).
The formula for compression ratio (CR) is

CR = (V+v)/v

where V = displacement of one cylinder (1275/4)

Solve this equation for v to get the combustion chamber volume.

To calculate the CR with a thicker gasket, use the same formula, but use a
new v, which is the original v plus the added volume by the thicker
gasket v*.  This added volume v* = pi * r^2 * t,
where r = radius of cylinder (bore/2)
      t = amount by which the new gasket is thicker

So the new CR is

CRnew = (V+v+v*)/(v+v*)

(You could now say CRnew = 8.0, solve for v* and then solve for t to get
the required thickness increase of the gasket)

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9