Head Gasket Adhesive???

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Gasket Adhesive???
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:07:27 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

I'm wondering about the head gasket on my car since the exhaust keeps
smoking pretty heavily even after putting close to 100 miles on the new
head. I've always put head gaskets on dry any then torqued down the head.
Whenever I'd end up dissassembling an engine the gasket would have stuck to
the block. When I pulled the old head to put this new one on I noticed that
the gasket wasn't stuck down, it was just sitting there loose.

I installed a new gasket when I put the new head on, should I have used
some type of brush on gasket adhesive on the block side of the gasket?

Also, all the heads I've had in the past, always had oil seals on the
intake as well as the exhaust valves. The machinist said this wasn't
nessassary and he did just the intake valves. I understand why this should
work in theory, but since this engine smokes so much and the only thing I
changed was the head, I'm wondering if maybe they all need seals just for
good measure.

No oil in the water, no water in the oil, new head, copper competition head
gasket, ARP bolts torqued to spec, 2000 miles on the block, smokes like the
Marlboro man.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robert