Re: Scratch Repair - (paint drying problems)

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: Scratch Repair - (paint drying problems)
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 10:01:26 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
robert weeks wrote:

> Speaking of scratch repair,
>
> I went to the local automotive paint supplier yesterday and picked up a
> quart of one stage urethane to touch up small dings and scratches on my
> car. I asked the sales person if it would dry without the hardner and he
> said it would dry just fine in a half an hour without hardner.
>
> Well, I touched up a number of spots yesterday afternoon and this morning
> the paint is still soft and tacky. Does anyone have any idea of how to
> handle this now? I plan on going back to the paint store and getting some
> hardner, but I'm not sure how to add it to the already applied paint.

I don't think urethane will harden on it's own in a reasonable time.
If you mix a bit of hardener with paint and go over the scratches again
it will cure  yesterdays paint.
You need the hardener if you plan on wet sanding the scratches (1500 or
2000 grit paper) then buff with a machine if possible, even a pad on a
drill will work.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ