self destructing 1098!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: self destructing 1098!
From: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:49:36 GMT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi folks,
been a while....
I went to drive up to Bendigo on friday, about a 100 mile journey each way,
but only got about 50 miles before noticing a hideous noise and a lack of
power. Sounded like a bearing on its last legs  so I drained a litre of
mobil 1 (bah!), replaced it with a litre of gear oil and turned around and
nursed it home at 25mph, stressing out the whole way, thinking it's about to
sieze/burst and strand me.
Got it home though and stripped it down today...
#2 big end bearing in 1000 assorted size pieces scattered about the sump.
No obvious conrod or crank damage though. Planning on doing as much as
possible myself: dissembly, assembly etc.
Will have the crank ground & sized for new bearings, replace oil pump and
timing chain.
Anything else I should do while its out? Anybody?
Andy

P.S I think I'll switch back to Penrite 30w-70