Some further Midget musings

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Some further Midget musings
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:01:09 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Good evening list:

Despite the thunderstorms, I still managed to get the Midget on the road
today.  But I noticed some irritating developments with my fuel guage.
Humidity has gotten inside, and fogged up the inside of the lens.  The other
lenses are relatively clean and clear, and I never thought that they were
airtight.  How could I clean the inside the lens and prevent moisture from
becoming apparent?  Just so everyone knows, the car hasn't seen a rainy day
in months.

Additionally, other relatively cheap maintenance seems to be working well.
I suspect that there may have been some flaws in my recently flushed
radiator, so I used a tube of alumaseal, and I was surprised to notice that
I was running a bit cooler than before.  As for topping up my dashpots, I
was truly unable to make sense out of the earlier debate on what was the
best fluid to use, so I went with run-of-the-mill 3-in1oil from the hardware
store.  The resulting idle was as smooth as it has ever been since I've
owned the car (about 6 weeks now.)

The only thing which was causing some irritation was the fact that when I
tried to check the transmission fluid level, I didn't notice any sort of
convenient dipstick setup down there, but rather just a bolt.  I assume that
the bolt gives one access to the gearbox, but there seems to be no
indication as to how high the level should be.  What goes in there (I think
that a 90W oil is required) and how much?  The Hayne's manual seems to have
a lot of material on taking the gearbox apart, but not much on maintenance.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com