Re: Strange rattling - please help me!

To: John Gottstein <gottstein@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Strange rattling - please help me!
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:11:43 -0400
Cc: "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

John Gottstein wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm going crazy because of this rattling sound that suddenly started coming
> from my 1500 engine.  It is a loud metallic hollow rattling that comes from
>the
> area of the alternator.   During idle the rattling is sporadic, but when I hit
> the gas, the sound is constant, and intensifies with more gas going to it.  I
> tightened the two front belts, but that didn't help it.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for what it might be?   Mike Graziano suggested
>it
> might be the water pump.  Would a water pump on the fritz make a rattling
>noise?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> John Gottstein
> 1975 Midget

John,

One way to find a noise is with a mechanics stethoscope.  If you don't have
one
you can use a socket extension of a piece of broom stick.  You just need
something
to transmit the noise to your ear.  Whatever you use keep it clear of
moving parts,
since it would not be fun to have a broom stick driven into your ear.  For
the safety
aspect the mechanics stethoscope would be better.  Just place your
listening device
on the suspected rattle maker and see if you hear the noise being
transmitted up the
stick/scope.  Good luck.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget