Re: PCV revisited

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: PCV revisited
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:49:42 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
based on the model year.... if you have (should have) the 3" dia. round
somewhat flat PCV valve,. it ran from the timing chain breather/oil seperator,
directly to the intake manifold. This setup keeps a slight vacuum on the
crankcase
which will also help (was designed to?) keep oil from running out through the
rear
main crank seal. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a modern day PCV
valve to route it  the same way. I did just this on my '78 Spit which has a
DCOE on it.
I punched a whole through the filter element (K&N) and fed the valve cover
breather right into the intake. (you can see it on the Spit pages near the
bottom
of the engine page) My aluminum cover on my 73 Midget doesn't have a breather
pipe,
so I'm routing it as described above. (timing cover to intake)

An esay test.... if you remove you oil fill cap, and the engine rpms increase,
you have a
properly sealed up and vacummed crank breather system.
Remember your oil dipstick must seal as well.

Paul Tegler
OBie - '73 BGT - Daily Driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Rat -'80 Spitfire  - fledgling recently left the nest
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit80.htm
Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - finally home
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com