Turbo Bugeye

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Turbo Bugeye
From: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu (Glen Byrns)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:54:17 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
After several requests, I thought it easiest to again post a description of
my turbo-bugeye.
Though I have not yet been under the head, the DPO contributes the following
info.

1275cc, bored 30 over. Flat-topped pistons. Shot-peened and counter-balanced
rods and crank.  Turned down flywheel. Double sprung valves, "full race cam".
Head is ported out to max dimensions indicated in Clymer's book.  The
intake/exhaust manifold is a welded one-piece custom creation. Very simple
and log like.  The turbocharger is the Rayjay Model 377 B25. Rayjay Industries,
Long Beach CA.  The intake faces the driver's navel and has an adaptor to fit
a single 1.25" SU with a rich needle. The exhaust pipe is about 2" ID, and
starts forward toward the radiator, does a 180 and drops out the standard exit
to a big standard looking muffler. The distributor is pure mechanical
advance, no name visible.  Valves and points are standard book values,
dynamic timed to ~5 deg. BTDC.  Unless the car's tach and my test kit tach
are both lying,
this sucker turns over 7K.  Turbo gauge was showing 10lbs and starting into the
yellow on the way to red when I backed off. I don't want to know what happens
in the red, but it can't be good, or affordable.

I've yet to see a JPEG posted on the list, so I presume its a no-no.  I have
a pre-restoration photo of the turbo I will e-mail to those who ask unless
someone tells me its OK to post it as an attachment to a list message.

PS, thanks to the lister who posted the Crane Cams electronic ignition sale,
mine should arrive Wednesday.  Should go well with the above set-up eh?

                                Regards, Glen Byrns