alcohol. was: Water temp gauge

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: alcohol. was: Water temp gauge
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:12:59 GMT
I remember something from 2nd year physical chemistry class to the effect
that; 95%(190 proof) is the purest alcohol (ethanol) that can be obtained by
distillation. It's being removed from aqueous solution, but some water
vapour  will always go through and condense with the product giving about 5%
water at best.  It could then be "dried" with a water absorbing but alcohol
insoluble salt...I think sodium sulfate does it.
Is denatured alcohol "methylated spirits"?