Re: cool ... no lbc

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: cool ... no lbc
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:22:38 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> PS Wind chill does affect inanimate objects.

Lars,
Swore I sent something earlier, but I guess not. It
affects the rate of heat transfer.  If you have 35
degree air flowing over an object that is, say, 100
degrees, the hot object will cool faster to 35 with
more airflow, but can't get any colder than 35.  You
got 3 types of heat transfer: sensible (described
above, latent (evaporative or condensing, like
sweating, where no change in temperature occurs to the
fluid being evapoarated.  E.g., water remaining at 212
while it boils away, despite heat being added), and
radiation.  For sensible, the math 1 time:

q = (massflow) * (specific heat) * (temp difference
between hot and cold objects)

For dry air, specific heat is .24 btu/lb-degF.  As the
moisture content goes up, the spec. heat increases
with increased humidity ratio.

=====
Ron Soave

IGNORE THE YAHOO MESSAGE BELOW!!!!!