Progress Report - Erratic Idle

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Progress Report - Erratic Idle
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:35:13 -0600
Hmmmm....I like the Pythonesque subject line.

Anyway, here's the latest in my attempt to get a smooth idle at 1000rpm
out of my '74 Midget, Arioch.

After checking and gapping the new spark plugs, filling the dash pots
with oil and making major adjustments to the carb synchronization, I
ended up with a <underline>fairly</underline> steady 1000rpm idle.  It
does still occasionally drop to almost dieing and surge to 1200 or 1300,
but that's a sight better than the 2500 I was doing before.  I've also
lost my backfire out the carbs pretty much completely.  I also have equal
smoke out of both carbs - before it was just the front one.

But it still is running like a dog on three legs.  It's got a real uneven
forceful pop out the exhaust and sounds nasty in the engine compartment
too.  But getting it even as steady as it is now let me do a better job
searching for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner.  Nothing around the carbs
themselves, but I do have a definite surge in power when I spray at both
spots where the intake manifold joins the engine.

I guess that would explain my poor running, but I don't understand it.
Was running ok until I changed the throttle plates in the carburetors and
I've already had to swap out the intake manifold about a year or so ago
to cure a previous vacuum leak.  Do they go bad like that warping or
something?  Seems unlikely to me.  I've already put a new manifold gasket
on and used the blue goop around the intake manifold.

I'm running out of things to check.  Compression was all pretty strong
135/140 to 150.  I'll swap in another intake manifold tomorrow, look into
the points and the timing and then I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for listening to the update and for any further advice.

Philip

1974 Damask Red Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos

1960 BRG Bugeye Sprite - First up for restoration

1973 Damask Red Midget - Project car for sale