Re: rear hubs/half shaft

To: branch@mbs.valinet.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear hubs/half shaft
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:09:08 EST
Geoff,

The easiest way to separate the hub from the shaft (and fit the new hub) is
to find a workshop that has a bearing press.  The welch plug will need
replacing.  Make sure that each side shaft remains the shaft for that side
when you refit the shafts - to keep the stresses in the shaft the same.

What is the basket?

I would replace the gaskets as a matter of course and use a gasket sealer.

The studs in the hub flange (have to be hammered out and hammered in) can
only be removed if you pull the hub flange of the axle and wire wheel studs,
specific to the w/w axle are sometimes NLA (but try some UK suppliers).

When the job is complete I would use a gear oil that is synthetic (Mobil SHC)
rather than a standard gear oil (still smells like cat pee though).

You are supposed to use new hubs on new wheels (I haven't done this) and hubs
and wheels are expensive new and not often seen (or any good) secondhand.

If you are thinking about new wheels consider going up to 5" rims - handy if
you go even slightly up on tyre size at a later date.

How come you have wire wheels on a 74 car?

Daniel1312