Timing without a timing light (LBC content a-plenty)

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing without a timing light (LBC content a-plenty)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:26:09 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Dear list:

Since odds are nobody is getting any in their Spridget in this weather (in
the Northeast) my thoughts naturally turned to subjects more mechanical.

Since I replaced the ignition system in the '74 Midget last month, setting
the timing has been perplexing for me.  I started out with the static timing
method described in the book, but that was just a coarse approximation.
When I turn the distributor to the direction in which the engine idles
fastest, and sounds most healthy, is the timing correct, or should it be a
couple of degrees retarded?  It didn't sound quite right at higher RPMs.

Another engineering question: when I adjust the timing to 'x' degress
advanced or retarded, am I actually changing the timing by 2x, to account
for the fact that the crank makes two turns per revolution (one for intake
valve, on for exhaust)?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget