Re: electronic ignition

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:11:07 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I have the pertronix ignitor. Mine worked fine until I fried it
during a tune-up. Apparently all connections to it must be
disconnected when you use the starter to bump the engine (like when
adjusting valves). That is, you should not disconnect just one of the
wires from the coil (HT or LT). There is an obscure reference to this
in the trouble-shooting portion of the instructions (as in, when it's
too late).

Other than that, mine has given me no trouble in three years of daily
use. I must admit, though, that when I had unrelated ignition
problems, the first step was to replace the Ignitor with the points
and condensor because I needed to know what response to expect from
the rest of the system while conducting the standard diagnostics in
the Haynes manual. If I was racing with one, I would have a spare
set-up ready to go in as a straight

Jeff

At 1:27 PM -0600 2/16/00, Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:
>Glen & All,
>
>Any time I've seen someone at the track, trying to find their ass with both
>hands when it comes to an ignition problem, they're tossing their electronic
>ignitions across the pits. I've seen countless failures. To win a race, you
>have to finish...
>
>WST

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu