more on elec.ign.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: more on elec.ign.
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:40:11 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
As I have come to expect, the list offered several good points (sorry) to
contemplate.  As I have the Frank C. alternator conversion, voltage spikes
from a misadjusted regulator seem unlikely.  Yes, I did get ,and am using a
ballast-free coil as is specified for the Crane 3000 unit.  It died while
accelerating from a stop as did the first one, so cranking with the coil
connected shouldn't be the cause.  I mounted it inside the engine
compartment just above the passenger's left knee ( about where the
windshield wiper motor is on the other side) and periodic checks have never
noted any heat coming from the unit so I think cooling is not an issue.
Crane didn't tell me why the first one failed.

Mark Childers suggested the possibility of AC spikes coming through from the
alternator.  A possibility.  How does one check for this?  I have only a
volt meter and the ability to jerk uncontrollably when shocked.  Will this
be enough?

On the bright side, I now keep a second dizzy points plate with pre-gapped
mounted points in the car with the ballasted coil.  Total change over time
is about 10 min.  I could do it in two, but the coils are different
diameters and the coil mount clamp must be loosened at the bolts as well as
the clamp screw to accomodate it.
                                                                Regards,
Glen Byrns