Restoration

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoration
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 19:47:46 -0500
    I'm new to the list, so bear with me. I have driven Midgets in the
past, but have always longed to restore a Bugeye. So now I'm doing it.
The mechanics are no problem. The problem is I am kind of clueless on
the approach to the body. I am interested in doing a class restoration
job. The body isn't in horrible shape, but as far as I can tell the
driver pan has some blow through due to a prior sandblasting, along with
the area that would be the trunk if I had one. ( but only in the extreme
rear portion). The front valance is in need of minor repair. I have
stripped the car to a basic rolling shell. How should I progress from
here? Is stripping better than sandblasting? I have heard that dipping
promotes rust. Should I do it manually with aircraft stripper, as has
been suggested by others? Or should I turn it all over to a body shop
and pray? Any suggestions, book recommendations, etc. would be
appreciated. Remember, the key is I that I want to do a class A job.
Thanks for any and all assistance!!!