Cutting a Sprite in half

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cutting a Sprite in half
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:36:22 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Dear List:

I just got back from doing some triage work on the basket case '68 Sprite.
The big question is whether to restore it or ue it as a parts farm.  On the
plus side, the best part of the car is ironically, everything between the
ground and 12".  Everything above that is in pretty bad shape.  The interior
is mostly missing, the wiring is a shambles, and most of the parts that will
decay from old age have done so.  (Including the solenoid, radiator, fuel
pump, hydraulics, gaskets, etc.)  The floorboards, trunk floor, steering,
and suspension are in great shape.  The tranny is a mystery, but the engine
registered 50psi oil pressure when cranking.

The '74 Midget that is my around town driver has some rust problems, the
biggest of which are the rear driver's side spring hanger area and the trunk
floor.  Repair of the damage will require quite a bit of welding, and may
still not fix all of the problems.  The Sprite seems to have a very sound
construction from the B-post back. What is involved to chop off the back of
the cars, and refit the pieces at the B-post?  Is this a better solution
than just repairing the rust in the normal manner?

Time and money are of equal consideration for me.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite