Re: NEW CAR!!1966 Midget

To: Charles Markham <chaz2@gis.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NEW CAR!!1966 Midget
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:28:23 -0800
Congratulations Charles! Exciting isn't it?

> The top is shot...Do I just replace the canvas part or the whole
thing

>including all the metal parts. Who has  the best quality and price?

extensively on the list, check last weeks replies (Re: ALL LISTERS:
Convertible tops). The I have only seens samples of the material, but
the Caribou Canvas top that Bryan bought appeals to me.

</paraindent>

> Tires- Should I just use 145 sr 13's like the ones that are on
there?

>Can any tire person put them on the spoked wheels?

find someone who has the right machine for wire wheels.

</paraindent>

> The floorpans. These are in really good shape but have a little
surface

>rust. Has anyone used any of the Eastwoods type treatments that stop
the

>rust and seal them?Or maybe I should drag out the sandblaster...I
just

>thought that would make quite a mess.

unless you can turn your car upside down to dump out all the sand! It
will get in everywhere and everything! If you only have mild surface
rust, scrape off everything  that is loose (rust, undercoating, etc,)
and then you can treat the metal with phosphoric acid. Light surface
rust will disappear in a matter of minutes, heavier stuff will take
longer, but it will do the job. A wire brush (wheel) will speed things
up if the rust has built up in spots (do this first). After you clean
things up, I would use a rubberized undercoating to reseal the floors.
You can get a paintable type of undercoating if you want to pant over
it too. Phosphoric acid can sometimes be found in home supply stores.
Jasco sells it under the the name "Prep and Prime", otherwise you'll
need to go to an automotive paint supplies. I like the Evercoat brand
undercoating best, but there are plenty of others out there. Make sure
you wear rubber gloves when using the acid. It won't burn you quickly
(unless you have a cut), but it will really dry out you skin. Use
common sense precautions, i.e. eye protection, good ventilation, etc,
when doing any of this stuff.

</paraindent>

> Interior- should I buy one of the kits? It is all kind of
hammered...

Depends on your skill level. The panels are pretty easy to re-make or
re-cover from vinyl-by-the-yard. Frank has detailed instructions on the
PDLJMPR site, tech tip section

.

> The car has been sitting a couple years so I guess I will need to
dump

>all the gas, rebuild the carbs and maybe you guys can add to this

>list....

togetherafter sitting a long time so you will likely need to do this.
If you're not familiar with them, do one at a time so you'll have the
other to look at when it's still together.

If you missed the posting a couple weeks ago about gasoline, use
extreme caution when handling gasoline, especially in your garage!!

Good luck,

Gerard

</paraindent>

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux