Re: NEW CAR!!1966 Midget

To: chaz2@gis.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NEW CAR!!1966 Midget
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 17:38:26 EST
Charles:

You have listed several obvious things that need attention.  These are the
obvious things that kind of "pop-out" at you when you make a preliminary
eyeball check.  I would recommend that you do a complete inspection so you
will know exactly what you have.  There was, and I guess still is, a great
and complete inspection checklist at:

    http://www.ado13.com/checklist.html

After that inspection you will know what rust lurks in places you might not
have checked, and will know a  lot more about the general condition of
thecar.  Then you can begin making plans on attacking the car on the basis of
what you want to drive (Concours excellence or just running), and how much
money you have or are willing to invest in the car.

I bought a '67 Sprite a few years ago and when I hauled it home, my list
included patching the floors, overhauling the carb, fixing the sagging
driver's side doot, and putting a new top on it, then a paint job.  I decided
I wasnt going to pull the engine.   LOLOL Today, the car sits completely
stripped down to a body shell, a LOT of new metal welded in, Engine, tranny,
and everything else completely out of the car, engine with a complete
overhaul--even a different block.

There seem to be lots of surprises.  Not trying to scare you, It is lots of
fun!!  And your car might start right up and be a driver shortly after
overhauling the carbs.  The only thing I am suggesting is to do the checklist
and tabulate just what you have.

One more suggestion.  In addition to the Haynes and/or Bently manuals, I
would highly suggest Porter's Buying and Restoring the Sprite/Midget.  It is
a great manual for a beginner like me.

Have a blast, Charles, and keep some good beer handy at all times.  8^)

--David C.