First drive! and, some rust quetions

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: First drive! and, some rust quetions
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 23:38:54 EST
Well, I just couldn't take it any longer.

The weather was fairly nice here in southern CT, and the road salt had more
or less subsided to the road edges on side streets, so I decided to go for a
run this afternoon, and...

The car drove just like I had been out for a ride the day before. No
surprises, nothing! I could not say that for my last roadster, a (then) 8
year old Spider. The only thing that did not work was one of the license
plate bulbs.

One thing I did notice that was not really there before was some pronounced
bubbling on the driver's fender alongside the bonnet. No paint has broken,
but there is no denying that there is rust under there. My question is, what
should I do? I can:

1. Leave it alone for now.
2. Go to a bodyshop (but who? I was so dissatified with my CT MG Club's
preferred LBC restorer, I don't want to go back).

As you can tell, I have no idea what could be happening underneath that
paint, nor how much money is involved here. Naturally, I do not want the
cancer to spread. Having me do the work is not an option. My paint restoring
knowledge goes no further than using GS-27 to run out scratches. And, since I
intend to keep this car for awhile, I want it done right the first time.

Such is life with the MG, in constant fear of rust.

Anyhow, I'm thinking April to have a tune-up done. I also want my steering
wheel straightened out, alignment done just to e sure, and to check out a
toed-in pass. side front wheel.

Good to be back in the driver's seat, and as always, your opinions are most
welcome.

Tom
78 Midget
95 Audi 90