Re: 78 1500 Rough Engine Solved!

To: Tomsaudi@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 78 1500 Rough Engine Solved!
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 10:27:34 EDT
In a message dated 6/2/00 12:48:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Tomsaudi@aol.com
writes:

<< Second, I'd like to mention that I am an idiot. Started her up this
evening
 looking to clean the air filter. I did tighten the connection of the line
 from the carb to the engine, but she still ran rough. Then I notice this
 random wire sparking away, and a spark plug in its place with no wire
 connected to it. Turned off engine, plugged in wire, voila, smooth running
 engine. What troubles me is that this wire is not fit on as well as the
other
 plugs, no matter how hard I push it in.  >>

On my Midget, the PO had just replaced the wires witha new set of the
*correct* wires from Moss.  They are CRAP!!!  I can't get them to stay on
either.  I tried crimping the plug contacts inside the boot but they don't
hold.  I will be buying a good set of Magnacor wires as soon as I can afford
them.  (I have Magnacors on my Mitsubishi.  They are the best.)  Buy new
wires.

<< Many of you questioned my air filter. It was thought I had a K&N filter,
but
 I have no clue. Atop of the Weber carb is simply a small, rectangular air
 cleaner with a chrome plated cover, with about 10 clamps holding it tightly
 together. It certainly doesn't look clean, but now I don't know what to do.
 Any advice as to what I'm dealing with here? I clearly need to replace it,
 but replace it with what? >>

I also have a Weber DGV and mine has a K&N filter that sounds like what you
described.  They sorta look blueish in color.  If it is a K&N, and it should
say it somewhere on the filter, just get a K&N filter cleaning kit and clean
it. It will be as good as new.  BTW, K&N filters are guaranteed for a million
miles.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget