RE: Sweet Sounds

To: "'rob thomas'" <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>
Subject: RE: Sweet Sounds
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:47:04 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
>Strange how the sound of a RR Merlin can get so many
people of all different interests to stop talking and just listen.<

Rob Thomas.
(Buzzed by one at treetop height at Popham airfield when just a teenager.
An experience to cherish for ever)

I can relate Rob. Having been to Reno Air Races many times and still the
sound of the Merlin (in a P-51 Mustang though) gives me goosebumps. Although
"Round" engines really make me stop and look. There's nothing that sounds
like it.

I remember years ago, a friend of mine (who is now an FO for a commuter and
working his ways into "the bigs") and I were sitting down at a local park on
a dreary Sunday afternoon. The park is near the runway 29 approach to the
Oakland Int'l airport. We were just BSing and my friend stops in mid
sentence, turns his head and says "Merlin". Sure enough, blasting down
through the clouds comes a P-51 (John Crocker to be exact) preparing to
land. We don't know if he requested or the controllers wanted a show but as
soon as he hit center field he pulled the stick back and went vertical,
climbing into the clouds and disappeared. He came back around and landed
next time through but it was a hell of a site and SOUND.

Bill Hunt
64 MKII Sprite - HRBYTOY