Re: Looking for a little guidance

To: bstevenson@imagictv.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for a little guidance
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:31:30 EDT
In a message dated 6/28/2000 4:03:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bstevenson@imagictv.com writes:

Brad:

Welcome to the fold!  You are in the right place!

<<  Is this just crazy for some one of average mechanic ability and who can't
 afford to have a 'real' mechanic always working on my vehicle?>>

Of course it is!  Being crazy is a part of the fun of owning one (or more) of
these little cars.  Seriously, their simplicity, availability of parts, both
used and new, and the great resources such as this list and lots of great
books take some of the craziness out of it.  Think of it as a "learning
experience".

 <<- I guess given the things that are important to me, I'm leaning towards
say
 67 - 74 MG Midget. This seems like a reasonable entry level purchase, based
 on what I've read so far, but I'd like to hear what the voices of experience
 have to say. Hopefully not "My God man, don't buy one of them!">>

Nope--you are right on, Brad!!  The '67 Sprite is arguably the best of the
Spridgets--you get roll up windows, pull-up top, the 1275 engine--some of
which have a nitrited crank, a the stronger rib-case tranny.  The '67-74
Midget or Sprite (through '69), or Spridget, if you will, have these
features.  If you go on to the early '70's Midget, you get the round rear
wheel arches as opposed to the square, which I really think looks better, and
you dont have to worry as much about oversized tires rubbing the fender.

 <<- Any specifics books you recommend I read over the next few months?>>

Three to start:  The Haynes manual, Porter's DIY Restoration of the Sprite
and Midget, and Bentley's manual.

 <>

You got it, Brad!  Although you better put a flame suit on!!!  There are lots
of devotees to the earlier Spridgets here. LOL  And they get guttier when
they take a later 1274 engine and replace the 948.  8^)

 <<Anyway, I'd sure appreciate any advice/words of wisdom anyone might wish to
 share. Also, if anyone would like to take the time to give their thoughts on
 a compare and contrast discussion around Midget vs MGB (given the criteria
 above), I'd be real interested in listening. Possibly same discussion on
 Spridget vs. TR6?>>

All I have heard is that the Spridget is much more fun to drive than any of
the other above listed cars.

--David C.