Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] Re: 1500 Engine needed near Maryland

To: JustBrits@aol.com
Subject: Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] Re: 1500 Engine needed near Maryland
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 22:36:07 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I was surprized by the damage.  I thought we'd get away with just a busted up
rod end and maybe having to turn the crankshaft down a bit.  The coolant in
the oil should have made me more suspicious then it did (the usual story,
having bought the car from a friend).  We'd pulled the head and couldn't find
anything wrong with the gasket.  It wasn't until I was once again under the
car and engine looking for a crack now that I suddenly saw light through a
highline.  A *most* impressive fracture indeed.

But this engine has some funny things with it anyhow.  I swear, either the
engine  stretched, or the exhaust manifold shrank, because it had the outer
mounting studs bent inward.  Lot of fun getting that exhaust manifold off!  If
only that engine could talk and tell me about its history.