Re: No LBC. computer help needed

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No LBC. computer help needed
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 09:01:14 -0500
Well Frank - there is the easy answer. Take the computer back to where you
got it. Go to you local Mac dealer and get a Mac. One control panel, 4
numbers (if static IP), and you are online ;-).

Now before that starts ANOTHER computer OS war, forget I ever said it.

Then there is the hard answer. If the computer came with W2K installed, you
may be screwed. Maybe not, but some of the newest hardware is configured for
W2K and will not run 98, 95 or... Maybe Linux. But you should be able to get
the 98 machine you have running to create an emergency startup disk. Then
boot the new machine off that with the 98 CD in the CD drive. Then format
the drive, with the /s switch to rewrite the boot blocks, and install 98.

Now the big caveat. If the machine came with a lot of preinstalled software,
like a lot of newer machines do, esp the so-called consumer models, be sure
you have the CD's and registration numbers for those programs. After you
reformat - they are gone. Again, be aware that some of them may not work in
98. As far as I know there aren't any, but there might be.

Now one more item. If you install 98 on the new machine, you really should
go to the computer store and buy a 98 package (I know not an option today, I
have a foot of snow already and it is falling at an inch an hour and you are
closer to the storm center). Micro$oft is very particular about their
software licenses and the 98 CD you just used is licensed to the machine you
already have 98 on - ONLY.

Now the second, one more item. You really should try to get W2K to work. I
am not sure how to do it - limited experience with W2K, but since it is a
development of Win NT it is a better, more stable, OS than the 9x series
ever dreamed of.

As for Bill Gates "ultimate F*$%-up" how do you know his momma was on top?

Larry

Using a Mac because I want to get work done on the computer, not work ON the
computer.

On 12/29/00 9:32 PM, "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com> wrote:

> Anybody know how to dump Windows 2000?
<SNIP>
> as to what settings should be set. They tell me what to look
> for and where but those screen shots are noplace in Bill Gates
> ultimate F*$%-up

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.