Re: clutch fork

To: Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com, tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: clutch fork
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:00:33 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com writes:

> I've done some digging and a lot of era cars come equipped w/ cable clutches
> I'll admit, there are a lot of trucks and SUVs w/ hydraulics (my Isuzu
> Trooper
> among them), but I've had very good service and no adjustments required
> from a

Both of my VWs had cable-operated clutches (85 Scirocco, 95 GTI VR6), as did
my first car, an 80 Audi 4000.  Replaced the cable (along with the clutch) in
the 4000, but the others were bulletproof.  I'm pretty sure the 93 S4 has a
hydraulic clutch, but I don't open that hood very often.  Also, all the
motorcycles I've had (all Hondas) had cable-operated clutches -- no problems
there, either.

It always kind of seemed to me that hydraulic clutch operation was just a bit
unnecessary -- why add a relatively complex system when a cable works just
fine?

Brakes are a different matter -- I'd guess it's mighty hard to keep four
cables adjusted to get optimum braking synchronized at each wheel.  Plus,
those cables would almost have to run down the underside of the car, where
they'd be exposed to the weather and (here, anyway) salt and snow.  Yikes!

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
59 TR3A
93 Audi S4 TQ