Re: clutch fork

To: "Jeff Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: clutch fork
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:38:38 -0400
> Note that clutch action does not require either 1 or 2. Also note
> that A LOT of cars used cable-actuated clutches at least into the
> mid-90s, maybe even up to today. And these were not considered wear
> or maintenance items. Heck, until recently, even Porsches used cables
> (though those apparently did need maintenance).

Only experience I've had with clutch cables was on the 1980 Chevy Chevette
dad had. He bought it new, and it ate cables. Actually not the cable itself,
but the adjustment mechanism which was part of the clutch cable housing. At
the upper (pedal) end there was a section made of case aluminum (or
something similar) about 4 - 6 inches long that had a bunch of rings around
it. You adjusted the clutch by pulling out on the housing and putting an "E"
clip on it between the appropriate rings. The problem was that the metal was
too soft and the rings would break off, so the cable would get looser and
looser. But I don't think we ever had the cable itself break, just that
adjustment thing.

Eddie
1971 Midget